Experts Share Snake Safety TipsCHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - State wildlife experts say your chances of a venomous snakebite in South Carolina is extremely low, and someone is more likely to die from choking on food or falling down stairs than a snake bite.
Kevin Murphy of Critter Control trapping company says their expert trappers catch venomous snakes mostly during the summer months, but this year they've been called out a lot because a warmer than usual fall. He explains the best way to tell if a snake is a potential danger.
"Rattles or patterns on the snake, copper colored like a penny, those are typically the poisonous snakes we have in the area. They have triangular head shapes. Their pupils are usually more sloped, oval-like," Murphy said.
Experts say a venomous snake bite is rarely deadly, but medical attention is needed as quickly as possible.
It may help medical professionals to take a picture of the snake or kill the snake if it can be done safely and bring it in case it's needed to make anti-venom.
"Do not try to approach a snake, unless you know it is a benign snake. A lot of people don't know that and that's how they get hurt," Newland said.
Larger non-venomous snakes found in this area may also bite, which can cause bleeding or lead to infection. Experts say clean the wound with anti-bacterial soap, and if it is a deep bite go to the doctor to determine whether stitches are needed.
-eastern diamond back rattlesnake
-and timber rattlesnake
The DNR says these snakes are vital to the environment because they control rodent populations.
By Nicole Johnson, Live5news.com